April 27, 2017, 03:26:28 AM

Author Topic: How to prevent ticks & fleas??  (Read 8946 times)

Offline Bonita13

How to prevent ticks & fleas??
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
Hi!I just want to know if anybody here has an idea on how to get rid of ticks and fleas??... I just bought my shih tzu last 2months ago.she is now on a 6th month..This is my first pet,so i dont have any idea about ticks & fleas  :(

I always look onto my shih tzu's body if there's a tick/flea and remove it everyday but it seems that they're too many so i decided to cut off my shih tzu's hair.For now,i dont see any tick/flea but im wondering if it will come again when her hair grows back..

Please give me some guides to prevent tick/fleas..THANKS!!!...  :)

Totally Shih Tzu Forum

How to prevent ticks & fleas??
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »

Offline Superness

• Global Moderator
  • Shih Tzu Amateur
    • Superness Shih Tzu
Re: How to prevent ticks & fleas??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:10 AM »
I recommend you use frontline for maintenance. It will prevent tick and fleas from coming back. I use frontline every month for my furbabies. If your puppy's hair is cut off, you can use the frontline spray. If your puppy has hair, you can use frontline plus.

There are also other brands of anti tick and fleas but I will highly recommend frontline.  I find it very effective.

Also, I will suggest you to have a bottle with cap half filled with alcohol. If you see a tick, simply put it inside the bottle and close it.  You can collect as many ticks as you want in this bottle  :) Then dispose it properly.

Offline Bonita13

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
ohh thanks for the info superness!This site really helps me :)

Offline kLye

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
Hi. Just a quick question here:

My puppy ash is just 2 mos old. I got her from a breeder and after getting him, he likes to frequently scratch himself. I actually tried looking for any tick and or flea bites in his body but I couldn't find any traces of the bugs.

My questions is this probably just a habit or a developmental stage that the puppy will eventually subside when he gets older or do i need to use anti tick and fleas shampoos as early as 2 mos.

Totally Shih Tzu Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

Offline Superness

• Global Moderator
  • Shih Tzu Amateur
    • Superness Shih Tzu
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:43:11 AM »
Have you checked your pup's ears also?

I suggest you use frontline plus for your puppy instead of using anti tick and flea shampoo. Scratching might also be a sign of an allergic reaction to food, shampoo, etc. Try eliminating the cause one by one. For example, try changing the brand of shampoo you are using. If the scratching doesn't stop, try changing the brand of dog food, and so on and so forth.  I know this is a very long process. But try checking his ears first or use frontline plus.

Please update us with your puppy.

Offline kLye

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »
Yeah. I've tried manually inspecting the ears, the groin, everything. I don't see bite marks or tick marks anywhere. I'm thinking that its just a behavior that he adapted from her mom. I can't confirm cause I never got the chance to saw her mom.

About the anti tick and flea shampoo-- are they safe to use on puppies as early as 2 months? I just am a bit hesitant because it might be a bit harsh on the puppy?

I agree with the allergy theory that you have. Which i'll try to deal with this week. Will be switching them to orijen puppy formula.  He doesnt seem to be having an allergic reaction to the shampoo cause after bathing, he doesnt scratch that much. And i also make sure that i rinse him thoroughly. Will definitely update you guys with ash's progress.  ;D

Offline Superness

• Global Moderator
  • Shih Tzu Amateur
    • Superness Shih Tzu
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 03:59:35 AM »
Hi Kyle!

How's Ash doing?