July 23, 2018, 08:12:39 AM

Author Topic: I need help in potty training  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Tere

I need help in potty training
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
Good Morning!
I am a newbie here and will take time to get my feet wet........(no pun intended)........but first I would like to post a question. 

I have a precious (new to me) little 6 mo old Shih Tzu, named Lady Blu.  (She has one brown eye and one blue eye).  Blu or Blusey suits her just fine.

We are having a terrible time with potty training.  I try to take her "out" each hour!  Yes, each hour!  Sometimes she hits the paper, sometimes not.  When you least expect it, she wee's on the floor in my house!  HELP!  I know there is a secret to training a Shih Tzu.......I just do not know what it is.  This morning, I finally ordered 2 books on Shih Tzu's so I can better understand our little Princess!!!!!  Right now, I use that term loosely.  We have a little male 2 yr old Havanese and we never went thru any of this with him.

Can you help me please???????    TY   Ter'e

Totally Shih Tzu Forum

I need help in potty training
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »

Offline Superness

• Global Moderator
  • Shih Tzu Amateur
    • Superness Shih Tzu
Re: I need help in potty training
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:10 AM »
Hi Tere,

Here's what I suggest:

First thing to do is observe where your pup used to do her "thing". After determining her favorite spot, put a paper or dog pads on her favorite spot. If you see her do it in the paper/pads, praise her or give her a reward. Repeat this process until she learns how to pee in the right spot.

Another method which I am doing right now with my shih tzu:

A few minutes after their meal, I used to walk my shih tzu outside and let them poo and pee. And after that, I praise or give them rewards after they do "it" outside until they learn to always poo and pee outside during walk. Also, I make sure that I always pick up their mess outside :) Praise or reward is being given just on the first few days of training. After that, no need to give rewards since it already becomes a habit to them to poo/pee outside.

Offline Bhendz

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
I am having the same problem with my Shih's actually. But I am used to it. That habit will change as they age i think. Sometimes they naturally learn thing on their own. Or I am just not aware that every after meal, i tend to walk them out, and that's it.  :)

Offline Superness

• Global Moderator
  • Shih Tzu Amateur
    • Superness Shih Tzu
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:19:48 AM »
It's a good thing that you walk your dogs out every after meal. It is actually one way of potty training them.
I do not believe that it will naturally change as they age. Puppies should be trained or else they will not learn to do it in the right place. You are actually training your puppy to do their thing right after their meal (during their walk). That's why you didn't have a hard time training them as they grow old.  ;)

Totally Shih Tzu Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:19:48 AM »

Offline cgoodloe

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
My Shorkie Tzu has specific places she likes to poop and she's pretty regularly on the pads but peeing, man my whole house stinks like pee and I have to use special stuff to steam clean the carpet just so I can train her to pee on the pads. Prior dogs peeing on the carpet spawned this continuous peeing stuff where she never wants to use a pad because the carpet smells like where she needs to go. Short of replacing the whole carpet which I can't afford right now I'm renting a pet specific cleaner with some enzymatic formula to try and remove smells and stains so we can start over on the training. I don't know what else to do. Going outside isn't possible most of the time so she has to learn to go on pads indoors. My sister trained her yorkie to go inside a crate to pee which is the opposite of what a crate training usually entails. This shorkie will hold her pee all day in a crate and wait for you to let her out and will pee on the carpet soon as she's out. She's that stubborn! She does like to potty outside when we do let her out once a week to play. Allergies in the humans here prevent both pups from being able to roll around outside every day. Health problems prevent them from getting baths daily and since they sleep with the asthmatics and allergy sufferers, we are limited in outside availability. I just hope this steam cleaning thing works because I don't know what else to try. Sprays that attract them do not work on this pup. Re-washable pads have worked better than those disposable ones with the pooping.

Carla

I am having the same problem with my Shih's actually. But I am used to it. That habit will change as they age i think. Sometimes they naturally learn thing on their own. Or I am just not aware that every after meal, i tend to walk them out, and that's it.  :)