August 17, 2017, 11:53:12 AM

Author Topic: Finicky Eater Driving Me Crazy  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Dan R

Finicky Eater Driving Me Crazy
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:12:42 AM »
Greetings from Miami! You are speaking to a first time Shih Tzu owner, but Iíve had mini Schnauzers for over 25 years.   We adopted Ace our first Shih Tzu a year ago and he definitely is not a Schnauzer.  Much more stubborn and much more of a lap dog.  The good and the bad. He is now three years old and has settled in very well with our younger Schnauzer.  We finally got his tear stains under control using distilled water and grain free foods.  But the food is the problem.  He is the most finicky eater I have ever seen.  He will eat anything fish or chicken or beef, or pork and loves carrots and peas.  But when it comes to any type of commercial dog food he is terrible at accepting it.  Weíve tried Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Authority, and now Merrick.  He will reluctantly eat some of it at first but after the first few days he has to be force fed a few kibbles before he will eat a handful or two.  Sometimes he wonít eat at all.  Donít get me wrong, we rarely give him human food, accept as a treat in the morning with his multi-vitamin tablet, which he always eats.  The treats are either a small carrot, a small piece of hot dog, or a chicken heart (I sautee chicken hearts in olive oil with a little garlic powder and the dogs love them!)  As you see, weíve tried to go to very healthy foods.  But he continues to eat very little.  The vet says he is ok and he is very energetic and playful.  His coat is fine and his tear stains are gone.  But he has lost weight and Iím tired of trying to force feed him dry food.  Oh by the way, canned wet food rarely goes over any better than dry.  The Schnauzer is a typical hound and eats anything and everything!  Help!  Any suggestions?   Best Regards. Dan

Totally Shih Tzu Forum

Finicky Eater Driving Me Crazy
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:12:42 AM »

Offline Superness

• Global Moderator
  • Shih Tzu Amateur
    • Superness Shih Tzu
Re: Finicky Eater Driving Me Crazy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:07:59 AM »
Hi Dan,

Can you please describe how you feed your shih tzu?

Does he have access to his food the whole day? How many times do you feed Ace dry food and how many cups per day?