July 23, 2018, 07:39:08 AM

Author Topic: Fostering a dog in need  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Jane McGuire

Fostering a dog in need
« on: November 17, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »
Hi.  This is my first experience with a shih tzu.  Her owner is leaving the country.  I am dog-sitting, soon to become fostering, to maybe become adopting her.  She is four years old and has had some crazy people as owners.

My husband and I have a small house, and a cat.  The dog is not aggressive, just curious enough to make the cat anxious.  No one has been injured (yet), but the dog is probably feeling stressed.  She has not lived with a cat before.

She is not reliably house-trained.  Her current owner has taught her to use "puppy pads" indoors instead.  With time, I am confident that we can work through this.  But this week, it's cold outside. 

Over the last two days, she has gone from hyper to very sedate.  Could she be depressed?  Can I do anything to help her?  As I said, this is my first experience with a shih tzu.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  She is a sweet girl and I'd like to adopt her, but not if she's going to be unhappy here.

Totally Shih Tzu Forum

Fostering a dog in need
« on: November 17, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »

Offline Superness

• Global Moderator
  • Shih Tzu Amateur
    • Superness Shih Tzu
Re: Fostering a dog in need
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
Hi Jane,

If she's new to the environment and was just left by her owner, maybe she's just missing them. Give her time to adjust to her new environment. Give her space to discover all the areas in her new home.

It is also good if she is trained to use puppy pads as it will come in handy during these times wherein she cannot go outside.

Is her eating normal?